Frequently Asked Questions
What types of financial aid are available?
There are several ways to finance your graduate education at The University of Tennessee.
1. The MBA Program has available several assistantships that extend a university tuition waiver (excluding university and MBA fees) and a stipend in exchange for 12 hours of weekly work. Additionally, the MBA Program also offers fellowships.
These awards are merit-based, with consideration given to GPA, GMAT scores, and employment history. In general, for merit-based monies, we consider candidates who have a minimum GMAT score of 650 and a minimum GPA of 3.5. This is the baseline for consideration, not a guarantee of an award. Upon entering the program, often other graduate assistantship opportunities arise which are not merit based. (Please note: if you receive funding from the Veteran's Administration to cover your tuition, you will not be eligible for this funding plus the university tuition waiver offered by a graduate assistantship.)
Check out these criteria-based financial assistance opportunities! Candidates who submit applications by March 1st will be given priority consideration. However, applications received by April 1st will also be considered. More
2. Federal Student loans are need-based awards available through the Financial Aid Office. Loan types include Stafford Loans, FPLUS and the UTK Work Study Program. Application is through the Financial Aid Office.
3. For University sources of funding (fellowships, assistantships, other), please go to this link on the University of Tennessee website.
I am an international student. Am I eligible for any financial aid?
Federal student loans are limited to U.S. citizens. International students are eligible for graduate assistantships and fellowships (see criteria in above question).
How do I apply for the assistance options listed above?
1. The assistantship/fellowship application form is part of the MBA application. Deadline for applying is
2. Federal Loans and Work Study Program applications can be obtained by contacting the Financial Aid Office.